Here are a range of useful tips to help you foster a love of reading in your school :
- Regularly read aloud a variety of texts that are suitable for the age and ability of your readers.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to discuss and debate different types of texts (eg instructional, fictional, informative) in order to develop a community of readers.
- Help students locate books that interest and motivate them and encourage them to share the book choices with other readers.
- Put in place regular groupwork that involves specific teaching of texts designed to engage pupils to read.
- Ensure pupils have access to age-related, interesting books in the classroom and the school library.
- Be aware that reading in teenage pupils may not be considered a “cool” activity and teachers need to use positive peer pressure to foster a culture that it is acceptable to read.
- Assess literacy ability on a regular basis to identify pupils who need support and implement literacy intervention strategies as appropriate.